Saturday 1 October 2011

Lanesplitter skirt

I've finally finished my lovely red Lanesplitter skirt:


I'm really pleased with it, although it makes my little belly stick out a bit. Meh. I've made a fairly significant modification in my addition of the wide elastic waistband. The pattern says that you should pick up stitches from the top edge and knit a casing for elastic. I hate elastic casings with a passion - they are so monumentally unflattering even in a thin woven fabric. In a hand knit? Double yuck.

So I bought some extra wide elastic and measured round me so that it would be snug and a little bit cinchy (but not too much - I want to have space for pie and beer!) and cut it with a little bit extra so if I needed to undo it and expand it by half an inch or so later there would be space. I sewed it up on my sewing machine using a wide and short zig zag stitch:
Then I seamed the skirt using bodged mattress stitch. At this point I tried on my elastic waistband and my skirt to check there was nothing going horribly wrong. There wasn't. Hurrah! I then turned the skirt inside out and placed the elastic inside at the top edge. I decided against using my sewing machine on such a chunky, fuzzy and bumpy knit fabric so carefully handstitched the elastic to the skirt, easing the skirt to fit the smaller waistband as I went. I pinned it before sewing to keep the easing nice and even.
And that's it. Finished!

Although it's pictured here with the waistband on display I think I'll wear it mostly with a longer top. My waistband means I can wear it with a tight top if I want without having the wodge of a knitted casing at my waist. Now I want the autumn weather to return (we're having unseasonally warm weather here) so I can wear it with tights, my brown knee boots and a nice jumper or blouse. Or maybe combat boots... hmm... I'm off for a wardrobe rummage!

6 comments:

Mara Acoma said...

Ooo can't wait to see it 'in the flesh' so to speak :)

Maytheweed said...

I'm hoping the weather will be more seasonal by next weekend so it can have it's first outing at Ally Pally :)

Julie said...

That looks so good. Clever idea with the waistband. The original wouldn't have worked. I know what you mean about the weather, it's thrown out all my wardrobe plans as well.

Maytheweed said...

Thanks Julie :)

Anonymous said...

What a great idea. I will redo my finishing and do a broad elastic like yours.
Karin (cloudsofdust on Ravelry)

Maytheweed said...

Cool - I'm glad it helped! :)